Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Our trip to the ER

No, not for me or the baby but for JAROM! Shocking huh? We keep saying "You're (jarom) the healthy one, I'm always the sick one. This isn't suppose to happen to you!" But it did.

Here's the story:

We spent the weekend at Court and John's. On the Fourth of July Jarom and John (My sister's husband) Were playing star craft (Video Game) upstairs. Court and I were making goodies for the BBQ we were going to later that day, downstairs. All of a sudden we hear a big thud. The boys were being silly a little earlier that day, so we thought that they were just playing around up there. We giggled a little bit and tried to listen for more, to see what they were doing. The next thing we hear is John yelling my name and telling me I needed to get up there. We ran up there and found Jarom on the ground. John told us that he was having a seizure. I instantly started crying and asked if I should call 9-1-1. I ran to get my phone and was shaking so bad I could hardly dial the number. I dialed it and then freaked out and hung up. Stupid, I know! You just never know what you will do in that kind of situation. I called them back and handed the phone to Courtenay. I didn't know the address. She talked to them and they told us what to do until the paramedics got there. John was awesome! He knew what to do to help Jarom and was so good at trying to keep me calm and letting me know that Jarom was going to be ok. He kept telling me to look at his chest rise and fall, that meant that he was still breathing and was going to be Ok. I couldn't stop crying and trying to talk to Jarom. He wasn't conscious so it was hard for me to think that he was going to be ok. He was unconscious for at least a minute (we don't know exactly how long) if not longer. It felt like an eternity! When he came out of his seizure, he was in and out of it. I will never forget the way he looked at me. He was so confused and didn't know where he was or who we were. He had no Idea who I was and that scared me! He kept trying to sit up but they told us to keep him laying down. He was sweating and had white foam on his face from the seizure. I was crying and pretty much freaking out, but when he would open his eyes I would try to be so brave and tell him that everything was ok. I kept asking Courtenay to ask the 9-1-1 operator if the ambulance was on their way. Apparently they got there fairly quick, but it seemed like forever to me! I finally heard the sirens and knew that help was on it's way. They came in and took over Jarom's care. I was so scared! They had the Paramedics helping Jarom and the Fire Department men helping me. Telling me what was going on and what they would do to help him. They kept asking me questions and my mind was going a million miles a minute, I couldn't even think! I don't know how long we were upstairs where they were still trying to get Jarom back to normal. Everything seems like a blur. They were giving him oxygen and testing all of his blood levels and a bunch of other stuff and asking him questions. He knew where he was and he knew what his name was but he didn't know that it was the Fourth of July. They kept calling him Jeremiah and Jeremy and one time they called him Bob! They loaded him up in a special chair to take him downstairs. Then they put him on a stretcher and loaded him up in the ambulance. Jarom was awake enough to know how much that ambulance ride was going to cost and kept asking them if it was really necessary that he rode in it. Poor guy! They had asked me if I wanted to ride along or follow them to the Hospital. I didn't want to leave him and just thought I would be worried and scared no matter where I was. So I rode in the front of the ambulance so that I could stay with him. When they loaded me up in the front, they assured me that he would be just fine and they would take good care of him. Through my tears, I told them" take really good care of him because I really love him a lot, ok?!" :) I was hysterical and said some pretty silly things, I guess. When we got to the hospital, they wheeled him into his room where a nurse was waiting for him. Court and John showed up a couple minutes later. What a relief to have them there! They hooked him up to an IV (he did NOT like that), took some blood, and did a couple of other tests. They did an EKG, some X-rays and a CAT scan. We waited there for about 3 hours. Jarom slept almost the whole time and I sat there and watched him breathe. I couldn't take my eyes off of him (still can't.) The test results came back normal. They gave me some instructions for home care and told me what to do afterwards. Dr.'s Appointments, further tests etc. and we were discharged. John brought our car home for us along with some food from the BBQ and Courtenay took us home. They stayed with us for a couple of hours and Joanna and Cody came over to see how Jarom was doing. The poor guy felt so bad about "ruining every one's Fourth of July" he wanted to go somewhere to watch fireworks and play games. We didn't do that. John and Cody gave me and Jarom a blessing and then everyone left so that Jarom could get some rest. I was completely terrified!!! I tried everything to help me relax while Jarom was asleep in the recliner.I just couldn't stop watching him and that continued all night. He woke up for a little bit so I moved him the the bed. When I say moved him, I mean helped him walk. I didn't sleep a single second that night. Every time he would move, I would ask him if he was ok. It got to the point where he would move and I would say "Jarom" and he would just nod, letting me know that he was ok. Ha ha I couldn't help it! I couldn't relax or stop crying. I just sat in bed all night and watched him breathe and move. I was so relieved to see the sun come up the next morning. I had been having contractions all night and morning (probably from the stress) but was too afraid to tell jarom, in fear that it would stress him out and he would have another seizure or something. I finally told him and he made me call the doctor. I went in that day and they gave me some medicine to help me sleep and the baby seems to be doing just fine! Thank goodness! That's the last thing we need right now!

Courtenay and Everett have been staying with us ever since. It really helps me to have them here! Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!!! I am so grateful for that!
Jarom saw the Neurologist yesterday. He didn't tell us much but he did a couple of reflex tests and nerve tests and everything seemed fine. He said he can't tell anything until after the EEG is done. That is scheduled for the 12th and then we go back to the Neurologist on the 22nd. Hopefully they will be able to tell us something.
So, it looks like I won't be going to Oregon, after all and that's ok. Jarom really wants me to go still but I wouldn't be able to relax or have fun or anything worrying about him! Plus, I want to be here for the tests and doctors appointments and just be here with him!
I am so grateful that we weren't home alone and that Courtenay and John were there when everything happened! I could never imagine doing that alone!
We don't know what caused this to happen. If it was the video game, lack of sleep, dehydration, seizure disorder, or just some freak accident. We don't know why things keep happening to us but we just keep pushing through it. Taking it one day at a time and hopefully things turn out ok. Everything is stressful right now but there's just not much we can do about it so we are trying to enjoy our time together and relax. It's harder for Jarom than it is for me to do!

THANK YOU everyone for your thoughts, prayers, meals, visits, phone calls, help and concern!
Jarom is doing well, for now and we hope it stays that way! He is getting pretty bad cabin fever because he can't go back to work yet! He's busy doing some projects around the house. I don't let him work too hard though. I make him take breaks and drink water and sit under the fan. Call me crazy, but I'm trying to take care of him. I think he's getting a little bit annoyed of me! haha Oh well. Thank you, again to everyone! We will continue to keep you updated!

10 comments:

Joanna Barker said...

I'm so sorry all this keeps happening to you guys! I can't imagine having to go through everything you have! It's such a relief he seems to be doing better and that the baby is ok. We're thinking about you guys all the time and praying for you!!!

Danielle said...

oh my GOSH. That sounds like one of the scariest situations ever! I'm so glad he's okay! I'm so curious as to what caused it or whats wrong or really anything more about it! I seriously can't imagine. That sounds insane. I love you and you are such a good wifey:)

Jenni Call said...

What a scary event. You were amazing! Just keep taking care of him. Answers are on the way.

Chad and Jessica said...

OH my goodness, that would be so scary. I think you handled it like a champ. You are such a loving wife. Man, it's good they haven't found anything, but you still gotta wonder why it happened. Hopefully the last test will reveal the answer. We'll keep you in our prayers. Love you!

Mrs. Laura Kay Pettit said...

We heard about all the shenanigans, and have been praying for you all ever since. Logan and Anne send their best wishes as well.

Love you guys!

P.S. You are gaining strength from every experience!

Emily said...

Oh man that would be so scary to witness. I've never seen anyone else have a seizure and I know I would freak out. I loved what you said to the ambulance guy, it got me all teary...so sweet! I hope it was just a random thing and it won't happen anymore.

I remember the disoriented feeling, it's so weird. Good luck with the rest of his tests! Take a pic of him with wires all over his head!

AMY AND MIKEY said...

Oh my goodness Steph! That is so scary!!!! I would have freaked out! I am so sorry this is happening to you guys! You are being very brave and strong. I will say a prayer for you- love you. Keep being strong.

Lanette said...

Oh my stars, how scary! You are a strong woman! And I'm sure that Jarom really does love having you take such good care of him and keep him from overdoing it =)

Jenni said...

I still just cannot believe this happened. But I am positive that things are on the up & up. I am so glad that Jarom is feeling ok and all is well for the moment. I realllllllly wish you were coming to visit.

LOVE YOU!

Shelby Osmond said...

Wow, that is incredible i can't even imagine that happening to me and what I would do. you are so cute and what good wife to take such good care of your hubbs. That is just crazy and i admire you for looking at the positive!